Looking for another post? Search for it here!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Page views, hits, visits .. whats the difference?

This post was inspired by: savvystitcher

Google Analytics provides you a lot of information and sometimes it's a bit difficult to figure out what it all means. This post will give you a quick description of some common terms.

web server: a computer program that is responsible for accepting requests from clients
hit: when a web server sends a file to a browser
page view: every time a visitor views a web page on your website
visit: when someone visits your website; a visit consists of one or more page views/hits.
visitor: for our purposes, a human
unique visitor: a specific visitor; cookies are used to track the uniqueness of the visitor


Don't understand something I wrote about? Have a related question? Post a comment and I will be sure to answer it. Have an unrelated question? E-mail me, and I will feature it on my blog!

xoxo
susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment